Sunday, 18 November 2007

Ready for Patongo

This is Friday lunch at the Medair House - posho (maize paste) and beans and a meat stew, very typical Uganda food although for most people meat might be available once a month. The cook (Mama Eva) has her back to me, Diane the reception is on the left and Shelley the admin manager is next to her. On the right is Phyllis (HR) and Fraser (country director and my boss for the next 4 weeks)
That's one of our Hilux turning into the house, the first sign is to the office

The roads are very variable - this is Kironde Rd to the Medair house, plenty of potholes big enough to damage axles if taken too quickly


From Kironde Rd I am looking to the top of Tank Hill - water tanks on the top.



and this is turn from Tank Hill Rd into Kironde Rd - Medair, Medecin Frontiere, a German HIV/TB mission and other NGO's sign posted
Down Tank Hil to Kabalagala, the local commercial area.

Fancy some goat ? Or the Ethiopian restaurant behind ?


On the left a line of motorcycles, the ubiquitous boda boda taxis - you have to admire their skill in weaving between traffic and potholes but I think I'll avoid them


The nearest we get to Tesco is John Rich on the corner of Tank Hill Rd and the main road to Kampala centre. Congestion can be appalling, it was yesterday. Some of the disruption is the run up to CHOGM when road are being repaired and new structures appearing.

Last sunday I went to church at an orphanage people are supporting - that's Ian who has a full time job but is spending lots of time with the orphanage. It has about 40 children on site but supports many more in the community with foster parents. Ian is in the kitchen !


These are girls in their dorm - triple deck bunks covered with a mosquito next with a small trunk for their cloths and possessions

and the boys in their dorm



So what has happened this week ? Mostly handover briefings with Michelle, the current project manager. The rest of the Patongo team has been on R&R. A good week, beginning to get a sense of what needs to be done. And I have written various proposals, mostly HR issues. and my first meeting with donors, this time the EU who are funding the Northern Uganda Rehabilitation Programme (NUREP), a Uganda Government programme. We are delivering support to vulnerable children - Formerly abducted children (FAC's), Child Headed Households (CHH's), Especially Vulnerable Individuals (EVI's) and others.
Tomorrow we drive to Patongo - 2 land cruisers and 1 Toyota Hilux. It has been quite wet here this week, Patongo is hotter and drier. I am looking forward to it. I expect to be back in Kampala in 10 days for some meetings but I'll be out of Kampala for CHOGM which will occupy Kampala - Thursday and Friday this coming week were declared public holidays on Monday this week but inPatongo we will be working to lunchtime Friday.









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

Benjol said...

Hello Geoff,

LONG time no see, here, speak or anything.

Got your blog via my parents -> Graham & Margaret White.

Funny you should be with Medair - I work about 10 miles from their headquarters, and know several people who work or have worked for them.

I've read all of your blog posts to catch up on what you're up to. I don't suggest trying to do the same for mine! (But this is a good place to start.)

(By the way, to avoid getting comment span, go to Settings>Comments and choose Yes for Show word verification for comments)

heathcotesafari said...

Geoff, how amazing to find you!! And a shared love for Africa ... my husband and I have been working for YWAM Africa for the past 9 years. Currently in Cape Town (not really Africa!) and considering a move to ... Uganda: yes, really! Our email is timandmiranda@yahoo.com and I would LOVE to hear from you. Love, Miranda (Chilvers).

Anonymous said...

Geoff,

Just to let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers! Hope you had a blessed Easter. We are still adjusting to our lives in Oxford and my ministry with the Grad students, but so far it has been a real blessing.

By the way, we have received word that Elisabeth Fieldsend has gotten the "all clear" from her doctors. Wonderful news in deed.

Stay safe and keep wearing the full armour of God!

Peace,

Ken and Debby Barnes
(www.igniteuk.org)